speech hardware needed

Ralph W. Reid III rreid at sunset.net
Mon Aug 26 07:34:30 EDT 2002

Hello again.  I am interested in tracking down sources of speech
synthesis hardware which is supported by Speakup.  I am currently
using an Accent PC card on a DOS system, which I use as a terminal
for a Linux box.  I am slowly phasing DOS out, and eventually all of
my databases and other substantial materials will be moved onto
Linux (not a small project to be sure).  Unfortunately, most of the
new PC's are being manufactured with PCI buses only, while my old
speech hardware runs on an ISA bus.  Therefore, I plan to try to buy
a new speech synthesizer within the next few months to a year.  I
have not bought any speech hardware since 1990, so I am very much out
of contact with any retailers who might sell such things.  I am
interested in getting any info you can provide about places where I
can purchase speech synthesis hardware--no matter what type of bus it
might plug into, or whether it is internal or external.  Any
suggestions/comments/sources/criticisms at this point will probably
help, so don't be bashful.  URL's to web sites would be fantastic,
but phone numbers or company names and addresses will be appreciated
as well.

Thanks for your time, and a special thanks to all of you who have
worked so hard to bring Speakup into being.  Have a _great_ day!

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
TAN (x) = SIN (x) / COS (x)