thinkpad series (off-topic)

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Thu Aug 15 16:06:45 EDT 2002

Cheryl:

I think you're generally safe on any of the IBM product lines. The T
series is very rugged, so it's a great choice for traveling with it's
titanium reinforced case. The X series is the ultra slim series that I
wish I had every time I have a long jaunt between planes at the airport.

The main problem that's hard to pin down is the modem/ethernet on the
backplane. Of course, you can always add a pcmcia card, but it's really
handy if you can just use what's builtin. I believe Buddy has a Thinkpad
with a Xircom modem/ethernet, both of which work in Linux. I have the 3Com
where only thethernet works in Linux. I've also had a Lucent combo where
only the modem worked.

If the unit is very new, and the T23 isn't that new, I'd be careful of the
video and sound chips. But, you should be OK with the T23 or older models.

My advice is to take older but get more hard disk capacity, more RAM, and
especially all the L2 cache you can afford. That will give you the
snappiest performance--more than a faster cpu, imho.