Linux and laptops

Dawes, Stephen Stephen.Dawes at gov.calgary.ab.ca
Tue Aug 13 15:56:36 EDT 2002

Hi Cheryl,

A laptop with no serial port is not a problem as you can get a PCMCIA
card that can have anywhere from 1 to 4 serial ports on it. They work
well, I am using one of these little gems with 2 serial ports to connect
a Dectalk express and an Alva abt380 to my laptop.

Don't be afraid of an on board modem, as long as it is a true modem and
not a win modem.

I have a Compaq laptop, the armada e700 (now obsolete.)

I use Redhat Linux 7.2 on it.

Bill Acker, wacker at octothorp.org is a big laptop user, and I am sure
that he could help you out with any questions as well. I know that he
helped me when I was getting started.

Stephen Dawes  <B.A., B.Sc.>
The City of Calgary                   |  Phone: (403) 268-5527
   Web Business Office #8300          |  Fax:   (403) 268-6423
   PO Box 2100 Postal Station M.      |  Email: sdawes at gov.calgary.ab.ca
   Calgary, Alberta, Canada. T2P 2M5  |  Web:
http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca

FOIPP NOTIFICATION
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity
named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a
person
responsible for delivering messages or communications to the intended
recipient, YOU ARE  HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or
copying of this communication or any of the information contained in it
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error,
please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete
this
communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by us.

Thank you for your attention and co-operation.