smb mounts to 2000xp box.

Shaun Oliver shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au
Tue Aug 13 07:05:10 EDT 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Erik Heil wrote:

> Hmm.  That's very interesting  I have an XP box here and I'm having the same
> problems.  However, my NT box mounts the filesystems just fine.

Ok, here's the deal.
What you need to do from the xp side of things is allow it to find all
shares and networked drives automatically.
I can't remember where off the top of my head to find this setting, also
ensure that on the linux side you have a smbpasswd file which depending on
your distro resides in, /etc/samba/smbpasswd
to add the users on the xp box to yer smbpasswrd file, do the folowing.
ensure that the user has an account on the linux box. they may never use
it other than to brows shares etc.
then as root, issue the following.
smbpasswd -a user where user is the username of the account u want to have
access samba.
then you'll be prompted for a password. enter it in and then retype it
when asked.
please make sure that all passwords for that user are the same so as to
avoid confusion.
other than that, I can't suggest much else. hth

--
Shaun Oliver

In a world without fences
          and walls who needs Windows and Gates?