smb mounts to 2000xp box.

Patrick Turnage patrickt at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Aug 11 23:46:23 EDT 2002

Hi
To mount from the linux box to the windows machine
make a directory in your root or whereever you want like
/smb
mkdir /smb
then add an entry to your /etc/hosts like this
ip name
1.2.3.4 name
so name was 1.2.3.4
then a command such as this should work
mount -t smbfs -o username=username,password=password //name/share /smb
where user is the username, password, is the password, name is the computer
name, and share is the area of your windows computer being shared.
Sometimes I get an error like 34599 called name not present, but it still
loads in to the diectory tree..

To do the reverse make sure your samba.conf is configured correctly.
Then load the smbd and nmbd deamons from where ever your distro loads them
either from a boot init file, or inetd.conf, load it up and see if it
works,  you may have to wait 10 to 12 minutes to ensure you are able to
browse the network.. through network naighborhood.. I think smbd, controls
access to the resources and nmbd responds to netbui or netbios comands,
like broadcasts etc.. soI think both must be loaded to browse the network
in network naighborhood..
as yo said to open a share do
start, run and
\\name\share
or \\name to get a list of shares on a particular host.

        -------------------------
Patrick Turnage
e-mail:pturnage at tampabay.rr.com
Telephone: (850) 459-7717