How to telent.

Edward L. Barnes ebarnes at enigma2.cjb.net
Tue Aug 6 21:18:47 EDT 2002

Anna:
The forwarded message from your isp is not needed.
Also, ssh is a more secure protocol than telnet so it's advisable to
always use ssh as opposed to telnet  if you are using a pc which is
capable of making a connection to another machine via ssh.
And, as you're running Red Hat you definitely do have this capability.
So, to connect to your provider you'd do the following asumming your
username there is annas.
Type only:
ssh annas at host
Replace host with the fully qualified domain name of the machine where
your shell account is.
Of course, you could telnet instead, but to give you a better reason why
most people would advise against you doing that, ssh is more secure than
telnet, when you send data to a host which you've connected too via
telnet it is possible for people to intercept and possibly read the data
your sending if the people have malicious intent, whereas, ssh incripts
all data so it does not send plane text which is interceptable by packet
sniffing programs and such.
If you're really set on telneting you just type telnet hostname at the
prompt.
And, in concluding, if you want more evidence of how telnet is not
advisable I'm sure if you surveyed the members of this list who allow
remote login on their machines, very few allow telnet logins.
I do and will for the next three weeks or so as I do telnet in to my
machine from time to time, however; after that I'm gonna kill the telnet
service.
Hth, good luck, and feel free to write if I might be able to help you
further.

Ed Barnes
Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, Canada
home phone +1-709-596-3165
e-mail and msn messenger id ebarnes at enigma2.cjb.net
********
"There is a fantasy in Redmond that Microsoft products are innovative, but
this is based entirely on a peculiar confusion of the words 'innovative'
and 'successful.' Microsoft products are successful -- they make a lot of
money -- but that doesn't make them innovative, or even particularly
good." -ROBERT X. CRINGELY
********