How to telent.

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Tue Aug 6 19:09:37 EDT 2002

Hi there,
You do not need to set up a configuration file for telnet.
All you need to do is type "telnet hostname"
where hostname is the name of your isp's shell machine.
If you don't know what the name of their shell machine is, you will have to ask them.
e.g if their shell machine was shell.drizzle.com you would type "telnet shell.drizzle.com" (without the quotes, of course).
You will then be asked for your username and password, this is your isp username and password, without the -ppp part.
Then you should get the normal prompt of your provider, at which time you can use all of the programs you used to use on their system.
Regards
Aaron
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 03:56:46PM -0700, Anna Schneider wrote:

> Okay, I read all the suggestions yesterday regarding what to do after
> connecting, and I'd like to telnet for now.  I at least know sort of what
> it is, but I'm suspecting after some experiments that I have to set up
> some kind of configuration file for it too, is that correct?  I looked up
> telnet on the man pages, but there was stuff of stuff that didn't make any
> sense.  Anywhere else I could look?  Do people here have suggestions on
> what I could do?  And is any of the information in the PPP set up message
> from drizzle that I'm forwarding again useful to telnetting?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Anna

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |