samba: reading files from my Windows 2000 machine from my RedHat Linux machine.

Steve Holmes steve at lnx2.holmesgrown.com
Tue Aug 6 18:31:09 EDT 2002

I don't have step by step directions to give you quickly, but I can
refer you to the smb.conf that samba uses on the linux side and I can
mention some basic things to do on the windows machine.

First of all, to get windows out of the way, you will need to "share"
the drive/directories on the windows box.  Not sure how to do it in
2000 but in '98, you could designate share names from the explorer
pane.  Also you need to have "client for Microsoft networking" active
to enable the sharing.

Now for the linux side; In the versions of smb.conf I have seen from
the standard samba distributed archives and from slackware packages,
just follow the comments and fill out things as you see fit.  The
workgroup must be the same for all machines in the workgroup.  I
personally like the linux box to act as the "master browser; I
understand only one machine is supposed to assume this role.
Actually come to think of it, I don't think there's much needed to be
done on the linux side so files on the other machine can be accessed.
You can test things out with the smbclient, a crude command-line based
thing with which you can get and put files from the windows box.
After you get this checked out, you can then take up mounting files to
mount points on your linux system so files can be accessed just like
other files on your box.  That is done with the smbmount command like
so:
smbmount //winbox/share /mount-point
To do this, your kernel must have smbfs support made available.
Without smbfs support, you will have to stick with that smbclient.

HTH.