alsa settings: I'm really mad!

'Georgina' gena at gena-j.net
Tue Apr 30 17:49:30 EDT 2002

Hi
Well this is really strange.  I usually do a apt-get dist-upgrade and
I'm using alsa's beta 10.  But I can't see how the apt process can
affect a program that isn't part of its database.  Surely it wouldn't
touch the asound.state?  Surely its down to the alsa version or a
program that I do not have and one that you two share?

I wonder if our start up procedure is different too?  I've created a
file in /usr/local/bin called start which sets speakup speech rate loads
brltty and alsactl restore.  I've created a soft link to that file in
/etc/rc2.d/S10start.  Can't remember why I used a value of 10 but that's
how I've done it.

BTW:  I've also put a say line so that rsynth will invite me to log in.

Gena

Blindness Advocacy and Self Help Online www.bashonline.org

>Hi Cheryl, Chuck and everyone,
>
>	My experience is not exactly the same as Cheryl's, but similar...
>
>	Although running Debian, and doing the apt-get upgrade, etc I can't att
ribute it to Debian (at least I don't think so). With alsa 0.9beta11 and beta 1
2 I experienced difficulties with the alsamixer, such that capture was set "on"
 on multiple channels without my being able to detect that using speakup. I'm s
ure that a sighted person using alsamixer would have noticed immediately that t
he capture was "on" on more than one channel. It is possible that I inadvertent
ly set the capture-on, but I don't think so. I believe that there is a big bug
in alsamixer in beta 11 and 12.

>	Anyway, in Debian, when you shut down/restart your system the mixer set
tings from the current session are saved in /etc/asound.state and these setting
s are used to initialize the sound card on next startup. If the settings re mes
sed up and you restart the system for some reason, the asound.state file retain
s the messed up settings for subsequent sessions.

>	My solution: Once I had my alsa settings the way I wanted them, I did a
n "alsactl store", then I went to /etc and copied the asound.state file to asou
nd-state.good. Now, if ever the settings get messed up again, I'll just copy th
e asound-state.good back to asound.state, do an "alsactl restore" and carry on.