alsa settings: I'm really mad!

Terry Cudney tcudney at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 30 07:43:17 EDT 2002

Hi Cheryl, Chuck and everyone,

	My experience is not exactly the same as Cheryl's, but similar...

	Although running Debian, and doing the apt-get upgrade, etc I can't attribute it to Debian (at least I don't think so). With alsa 0.9beta11 and beta 12 I experienced difficulties with the alsamixer, such that capture was set "on" on multiple channels without my being able to detect that using speakup. I'm sure that a sighted person using alsamixer would have noticed immediately that the capture was "on" on more than one channel. It is possible that I inadvertently set the capture-on, but I don't think so. I believe that there is a big bug in alsamixer in beta 11 and 12.

	Anyway, in Debian, when you shut down/restart your system the mixer settings from the current session are saved in /etc/asound.state and these settings are used to initialize the sound card on next startup. If the settings re messed up and you restart the system for some reason, the asound.state file retains the messed up settings for subsequent sessions.

	My solution: Once I had my alsa settings the way I wanted them, I did an "alsactl store", then I went to /etc and copied the asound.state file to asound-state.good. Now, if ever the settings get messed up again, I'll just copy the asound-state.good back to asound.state, do an "alsactl restore" and carry on.

HTH,

	--terry

You wrote:

-=> Cheryl -
-=>
-=> Alsa is tough enough to tame without that happening too! I have
-=> never had any similar experience on this Slackware system.
-=> Chuck
-=>