kernel vs. alsa?

Igor Gueths igueths at attbi.com
Sat Apr 20 21:27:27 EDT 2002

Hi all. I am having pretty bad luck getting beta11 of the alsa package to
work. Beta9 work well with some quirks. I wonder what has so drastically
changed in beta11 that makes it so much harder to get working? Anyway, my
question is why does everyone like the alsa drivers better than the oss
modules? One thing that I've heard is that the oss modules don't use full
duplex. Is this correct? The only reason why I ask is because I am
considering switching from alsa to the 2.4.18 sound modules to hopefully
fix my problem with not being able to play wavs with trplayer.