how to get full duplex out of the standard kernel drivers

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Sat Apr 20 16:44:37 EDT 2002

Given all the discussions about compiling Speak Freely and Alsa, I thought
I'd share the experience I had.  I didn't want to build Alsa because I'd
heard a lot of horror stories about how it wouldn't compile and such.
So, I decided to try to force the standard drivers to use full duplex.  I
had read that this was possible.  So, I did a lot of experimentation and
finally came up with the following.  Get the Speak Freely source and edit
the Makefile as follows.  Uncomment the first line for Linux.  Remove the
"-DHALF_DUPLEX" part.  Add "-DNEEDED_LINEAR."  This is important since you
will be using sflaunch to connect which apparently requires this to sound
right (at least on a Soundblaster AWE64.)  Near the bottom of the
Makefile, remove the reference to "strip."  As has been noted, strip is
trying to strip Perl scripts which bombs out the install without
installing the man pages.  Now, save and exit your editor.  Type "make"
then as root, "make install."  Now, take the following script based on the
one at linux-speakup.org, and insert your identification information in
the right place.  Name the script something like "speakup."  Make sure it
is executable by typing "chmod +x speakup."  Now, type "./speakup" and you
should be able to use full duplex without having to get Alsa working.  The
only problem is that I don't know if sflaunch can be used to wait for
somebody to connect to you the way sfspeaker can.

Script begins here.

SPEAKFREE_LWL_TELL=lwl.braille.uwo.ca
SPEAKFREE_ID="Your Name:your email:optional phone number:your location"
export SPEAKFREE_LWL_TELL
export SPEAKFREE_ID
sflaunch -q -speaker -p4074 lwl.braille.uwo.ca:4074

End script.

Like I said, not perfect, but if you only want to use Speak Freely on the
reflector, this will work.  Also, since I removed the strip command from
the Makefile, you may wish to go into /usr/local/bin and strip the files
manually.  Strip sflaunch, sfspeaker, sfmike, sflwl, sflwld, and sfecho.