Newbie Installing Redhat

Liz Hare eh51 at cornell.edu
Sat Apr 20 15:29:39 EDT 2002

Hello,

I'm a newbie installing RedHat for the first time, thanks to Janina, who
provided me with the CDs.

There is a problem with the installation, it gets to one package (Something
about USB, but unfortunately I didn't write that down) and stops.  It tells
me to hit enter to try again.  THe problem is that it never works, and it
doesn't give me any other options, like getting this package and installing
it later.  I have to abort the installation because all it will let me do
is try getting this package again.  (I suspect there's a problem with the
disc, although it also offered the possibility of a bad package.)

I don't have a fast connection so  Ican't download a whole new disk.

What I"m wondering now is, how hard is it really to buy the RedHat CDs,
install them, and then install Speakup.  The Speakup website says you
should have some experience playing with the kernel, which I don't have.  I
realize I will also have to hijack a pair of eyeballs for a few hours.

Liz

Liz Hare, Ph.D.
Research Associate
Animal Breeding and Genetics Group