still having problems with aplay

Igor Gueths igueths at attbi.com
Thu Apr 18 18:54:05 EDT 2002

Hi all. I had a wav file floating around which I figured I would play with
aplay, or at least try to. I used the -t option to indicate wav. My syntax
was: aplay -t test.wav. I also tried: aplay card0 -t wav test.wav, and
still it gives me: alsalib pcm_hw.c: 598(sndrv_pcm_ioctl_pversion failed:
inapropriate ioctl for device. Aplay: main: 445: audio open error:
inapropriate ioctl for device. How can I get aplay to use the correct
audio device? I run freeamp and it works fine with mp3s. Thanks in
advance!