aplay/arecord start-up error

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Wed Apr 17 21:43:14 EDT 2002

Yes. I've posted this same problem twice on this list; once a couple of months ago, and again a couple of weeks ago. It was Chuck H. that rtold me that I needed to pass flags other then the file name to arecord/aplay in order to get it to work at all (something that was not obvious to me from reading the docs). I can't find Chuck's e-mail, but it should be in the archives, and maybe Chuck himself will comment once again. I'm attaching his arecord script that he sent me, that might give you some idea of how to use arecord.
Greg

#!/bin/bash
trap "" SIGINT # ignore ^C
(trap - SIGINT # except in this subshell
arecord -d 7200 -q -r 22050 -f S16_LE -c1 /tmp/rec22km.wav )
echo wait...
if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
sox /tmp/rec22km.wav rec22km.wav >/dev/null 2>&1
echo rec22km.wav
(trap - SIGINT # except in this subshell
play rec22km.wav )
else
sox /tmp/rec22km.wav $1.wav >/dev/null 2>&1
echo $1.wav
(trap - SIGINT # except in this subshell
play $1.wav )
fi
rm /tmp/rec22km.wav > /dev/null 2>&1