newest of the newbies

Shaun Oliver shauno at goanna.net.au
Tue Apr 16 06:10:05 EDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Rob wrote:

> Hello List,
>
>      I'll try and keep this short and I suppose one person answering
> will do, don't expect a big ol' thread on my question.
>     Well it all started a couple Saturdays ago in my In box when I got
> a newsletter talking about, in part, investigating Linux and it gave a
> url.  I followed it and was very intrigued since I miss my old Unix
> Shell account that I started on the computer with a few years ago.
>      After doing some digging I found out about Speakup and the
> synthesizers it supports etc.  I will be buying a Doubletalk if I
> indeed pursue Linux as an alternate operating system.
>      I guess my immediate questions are, I have a dsl connection, how
> hard will it be to configure so that I may use it.  Also, does Linux
> have a built in Telnet client and IRC client like my old Unix shell
> used to?  How hard is it to find programs like Lynx and Pine?
ok. let me start with configuring for dsl. I personally have never done it
but most kernels these days have support for pppoe ppp over ethernet
assuming your dsl connectisn is pppoe.
I'm not sure as to the rest of the steps involved but I shouldn't think it
would be too hard.
as for inbuilt telnet and irc, that's a fake. those are applications that
run ontop of GNU/Linux.
>      I know this is an established list with people already well into
> the use of Linux and I hate to bog it down with a bunch of newbie
> questions, but I looked all over and could not find a "Linux for blind
> newbies" list or I would have gone there lol.
>      If anyone wants to email me directly you can mail to
> robd1953 at mindspring.com
>      I just basically want to see how people feel about using this
> exciting alternative to the dreaded Windows. *grin*

I gotta tell ya I find linux a refreshing change to windows because for
one thing I don't have to worry too much about scripting crap for windows
that probably in all likelyhood look like crap and take hours of scripting
and debugging to make accessable with screen readers e.g. jaws.
having said all that, linux I've found is quite a good deal more stable
than windblows.
hth

--
Shaun

If little else, the brain is an educational toy.
                -- Tom Robbins
EMAIL: shauno at goanna.net.au
ICQ: 76958435

Rob > >