console based mp3 players

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Mon Apr 15 14:52:12 EDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Deedra Waters wrote:

> I'm currently using mp3blaster to play mp3 files, but it's not really
> speakup friendl.
> I tried freeamp, but I'm having several problems trying to get it to do
> what I want it to, and it doesn't have man pages that are of much use.
> They assume that I can use xwindows, which I can not:p
>
> Does anyone have suggestions as to an mp3 player that will let me move
> threw songs, shuffle repeat, and load playlists?

Well, my personal suggestion for starters would be mpg123.

It probably is already on your system, it certainly comes bundled with
Slackware 8.0.  Although it cannot do all of what you want out of the box,
a search for mpg123 on freshmeat.net will unearth several packages which
will interact with it to add functionality.  Be warned, however, I have
found that mpg123 is very intollerent of broken mp3 headers, and you may
find that some files will stop halfway through, or not play at all, I
don't know why this should be, but there it is.  Out of the box, you can
shuffle a list of tracks no probs at all using the -z switch, and the
man-page is, imho, very extensive.

HTH

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808