bookshare.org

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Sun Apr 14 14:35:44 EDT 2002

Hi all,

<smile>  Hey, Danley, you see this?  You want to comment?

I'm sort of in the same boat, Cheryl.  I can access them via Windows,
and I did manage to sign up, but I had to have sighted help to do it.

The word on the unpack tool is that if you download the public domain
stuff, you don't have to have the unpack tool.  However, if you do
sign up, then you have to use the unpack tool in order to download
anything under copyright.  Then, you have to use the VR reader to read
it, or so they say.

It took them over four weeks to get my stuff approved.  I was on their
beta list, and I looked at their site, but my computer was down during
most of the testing.    I have expressed my dissatisfaction with their
web site.

They are looking for a Linux programmer to enable them to put the
stuff into a format readable by Linux.

Because of some recent developments in other areas of my life, I'm not
so sure I want to sign up with them now.  They make it deliberately
difficult to sign up.  They put deliberate road blocks in the way of
anyone trying to access their site, even in Windows the site is so
damned busy I can hardly navigate it.  It's too busy!!  There are
sometimes over thirty links on a page!  That's too many links, too
damned many links and there's very little text except for the license
agreement which goes on for thirty screens or more!  They expect
people to read this and understand it; thirty screens full, plus agree
buttons placed strategically through the whole bless document to be
sure you've read it?  Give me a break!  If I say I've read it, then
I've read it.  I don't need to check every page like a second grader
to prove it!  They're going by the same mentality as most Windows
developers do.  Treat your customers like idiots because they are.
<grrrrr> "Do you want to find this file now?"  Yes, God bless it, when
else would I want the file, Tuesday, next year, July 16th?   <grrrrr>

No, Cheryl, it is not accessible now.  Whether it will be or not
depends on people like Janina.  I can't make any headway at all.  I'm
just a peon!

If it was me, I'd scrap that whole web tree and start over with
something a bit simpler, and a lot more elegant!  Me, I go for
simplicity and clean lines, like a Japanese vase with three flowers in
it, not a huge tub of piones a foot across!

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons
email:  akp at eznet.net 			ICQ Number:  33006854