Arecord produces silence.

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Fri Apr 12 00:04:42 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before, but the archives didn't
unearth anything.

I'm trying to get arecord working.

I'm assuming I've plugged the mike into the correct socket on the sound
card as
1.  I get the same result (see below) for all available sockets, and
2.  I can hear the input to the microphone through my speakers when not
recording.

I'm using a Soundblaster Live Value, the Alsa sound drivers seem to be
working fine, I can use both play and aplay to listen to wav files I
already have.

The problem is, whenever I play back the files I've created, I'm greeted
with just silence.  I've used alsamixer to set the input from the mike and
the line in, just to make sure, both to capture and unmuted, set the
volume to around 75%.

What am I doing wrong?

Btw, as an aside, it helps if subject lines say something about the
subject matter, not just "question" etc, as it means that there is some
chance of the archive serving its purpose.

Thanks.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808