nano and pine

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Fri Apr 5 06:29:07 EST 2002

Hi Janina,

If you are using nano as your pine composer and can really just
cursor up into the header area without first closing the file
with ctrl-x, I would sure like to know how you do it. If you have
merely given nano as the name of the editor and have not checked
one of the "enable-alternate-editor-..." options, you are
actually not using nano at all, but the built in composer. At
least that is the behavior I get here.

When you are composing a message and are down in the message body
area, can you do a ctrl-c to cancel the message, a ctrl-o to
postpone it, do your functions keys work as shortcuts for the
various editor commands? What does the top line of your screen
say?

I would sure like to see your pinerc file if you can use nano the
way you describe.

Toby suggested setting the "EDITOR"  environment variable, which
I have set to nano also, but still unless I check one of those
two pine "enable" options, I come up in the built-in pine
composer, which is neither pico nor nano.

Experiment: Just for kicks - use "mv" to change the name of your
pico and nano executables. Call them something absurd like
"porco" and "nato"  for instance. Then see if you can use pine to
compose a message. I bet you can.

PS - Don't forget to change them back! <smile>

Cheers - Chuck