nano and pine

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Thu Apr 4 18:46:20 EST 2002

I believe that the built-in "pine composer" is actually not pico
at all. It is truly built-in and tightly integrated, so that you
can cursor up into the header area from the message body, and
ctrl-x is all you need to do to send the file. You can also do
ctrl-o to postpone the composition while in the message body, and
you cannot do any of those things in pico. Pico is an editor
patterned after the pine composer, and that is very different
from saying that pine uses pico by default. It does not! So in
fact if you specified pico as your pine editor, you would get
behavior very like nano. You could not cursor up from the message
body into the header area, you could not postpone the message
while in the message body, and you would have to explicitly exit
pico with ctrl-x and then separately send the message with
another ctrl-x.

So what you now have with nano is as good as it gets! <smile>

Chuck