Copying audio cds

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Mon Apr 1 09:18:40 EST 2002

In order to make cdrdao work with ide cdrom drives
it is just a matter of doing the following:
Enable scsi generic, scsi cdrom and ide-scsi emulation.
compile out support for ide-cdrom, your ide-cdrom will show as scsi.
Boot your new kernel. If you load ide-cdrom support as modules
you can tell kmod which support to load for which device but this is not
trivial.

I use ide cdrom drives to rip audio with cdrdao and it preserves indexx
isrc catalog number and pregaps.

You can make cdrecord generate acceptable music cds without 2-second pregaps, simply
use the -dao option like this:
cdrecord -v -audio -dao speed=n 1.wav 2.wav
Note however that if the audio data in the .wav file is not a multiple of 2352
bytes you need the -pad option and this will insert zeros as padding.
to avoid this rip with cdparanoia which does pad the tracks or
get cdrdao to work. It works just fine for me here on both ide and scsi devices.
Note that once you enable ide-scsi emulation your cdrom will move from /dev/hdc to /dev/scd0 so remember to update fstab.

Regards, Kerry.