multi tasking

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Mon Apr 1 06:35:19 EST 2002

Keith -
On my Slackware system there are six separate consoles available
for me to use at any time. Other distributions may have a
different number of them by default, and you can change it if you
want.

You can switch to a different console at any time, without
disturbing your current one, by typing "alt-F1", "alt-F2",
"alt-F3", etc. to go to the corresponding console. An alternative
is to type "alt-left" or "alt-right" to move to the adjacent
console on either side of your current one. You will at first
have another login screen on a console you have not yet used, and
you log in there in the usual way. You can log into a different
account or into the one that is already open. It gets tricky when
you want to run the same program in two consoles that are on the
same account, but for many applications it is not impossible.

I commonly have one console open to read a man page and then move
to another to try something out that is described there.

HTH - Chuck