alsa sound drivers

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Tue Sep 25 17:36:20 EDT 2001

Hi Jim.  If what we heard on the reflecter over the weekend is a sample
then your sound card will probably not work.  Larry Bagget has been
trying to get his Maestro card up and running for quite a while and
hasn't had much success.

By the way, you should use the echo server, not the reflecter to test
your card.  You were generating pure white noise over the weekend, and
not reading or not receiving chats when people were asking you to stop.
nthis is ot very polite behavior.  The address for the echo server is
lwl.braille.uwo.ca.  The only difference is that you don't put the :4074
on the end of the address.  The echo server will allow you to send about
10 seconds of audio to it, and then send the same audio back to you.
It's a great way to find out whether your sound card is working, and
whether you need to adjust your volume controls or not.

The ALSA drivers can be found at http://www.alsa-project.org/.  Be very
sure to read the INSTALL file that comes with the drivers, and
particularly pay attention to the section for your sound card.  There
are a couple of complete examples of additions you'll need to make to
your /etc/modules.conf file for most distributions, or your
/etc/modutils/aliases file for Debian.  Using your favorite editor, you
can copy the configuration examples into a file, and then edit it to
meet your needs.  When you have your configuration file the way you want
it, save it, and paste it onto the bottom of your /etc/modules.conf
file, or your /etc/modutils/aliases file.  If your running Debian,
you'll have to run update-modules after editing your aliases file.

Finally, you'll need three files from the alsa-projects site.
Alsa-driver-0.xx.xx, alsa-lib-0.xx.xx and alsa-utils-0.xx.xx.  All of
the files have a tar.gz or tar.bz2 suffix.  The xx stands for the
version number of the alsa drivers, and you should get driver, library
and utility files with the same version number.  You'll need to install
the drivers, then the libraries, and finally the utilities in that
order.  The libraries look to see if the drivers are installed, and the
utilities depend on the libraries, so you'll have to compile and install
things exactly in this order.

As I said, I think your sound card may be broken from what we heard on
the reflecter over the weekend, but using the Alsa drivers may fix the
problem.  It's certainly worth a try.

Gene Collins