Modularisation

Saqib Shaikh ss at saqibshaikh.com
Tue Sep 25 05:14:23 EDT 2001

Hi Frank and all,

I wrote:

I personally don't like the fact that one must change the
keymaps to use Speakup.  Could Speakup be changed so that it monitors
all keypresses, and if it wants to deal with them it does so and then
all other keys are passed through?  This would, in my opinion, be a
far better solution.

In response, Frank wrote:

Well that's an interesting argument.  Something to the effect of speakup
building it's keyboard hooks in to all of the maps.  Then upon speakup
being initialized it grabs it's keys.

This is sort of what I mean.  For example, were I to write a non-kernel
screen reader it'd go like:

loop infinitely
get keypress
if speakup key do something
else give to foreground process

Now this has the following advantages:
1.  You don't have to modify every keymap for every language.  We in the UK
either have to install the system using a US map with speakup and then make
a UK speakup map, or else install with a uk non-speakup map and have no
functionality on the keymap. this would solve this.
2.  If I wish to disable Speakup in a particular console using the print
screen key and then load Emacspeak in that VCS I will still not be able to
use the numeric keypad because they will have speakup functions rather than
their normal functions.  With my idea if speakup is disabled it won't
capture keys either.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea then let me know, and maybe I can write
some code.

Saqib