Lynx & SSL

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Sep 24 16:13:16 EDT 2001

Well, lynx is definitely slipping under the rug on RH. The Roswell
distribution doesn't install it by default, though the rpm is there to
easily remedy this.

 On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Steve Holmes wrote:

> Slak 8.0 comes with lynx 2.8.3rel1. I generally like slackware for
> structureal things but I do wonder about some of the versions of some of
> the included packages. They were pretty current on other things but I
> wonder if Lynx slips under the rug a bit or something.
>
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Janina Sajka wrote:
>
> > Wow. Not good.
> >
> > Not sure when lynx began shipping with ssl, but it's been some time. It
> > happened after the U.S. lifted restrictions on encryption technology
> > exporting--and that was back in 1999, I think.
> >
> > My lynx, which came via the Redhat 7.1.94 install is 2.8.4rev1. The lynx
> > home page at www.lynx.browser.org lists 2.8.3 as current, and that should
> > include ssl. What version do you have? Do:
> >
> > 	lynx --version
> >
> >  On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Holmes,
> > Steve wrote:
> >
> > > I thought the lynx distributed with slackware 8.0 was SSL enabled.
> > > Apparently out of the box it does not do that.  I just tried it and got an
> > > error saying that https was not supported.  Do I have to change some configs
> > > to do this or do I have to rebuild the program? I do have the openssl
> > > package installed so that part should be ready.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp