Lynx & SSL

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Sep 24 13:42:20 EDT 2001

Wow. Not good.

Not sure when lynx began shipping with ssl, but it's been some time. It
happened after the U.S. lifted restrictions on encryption technology
exporting--and that was back in 1999, I think.

My lynx, which came via the Redhat 7.1.94 install is 2.8.4rev1. The lynx
home page at www.lynx.browser.org lists 2.8.3 as current, and that should
include ssl. What version do you have? Do:

	lynx --version

 On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Holmes,
Steve wrote:

> I thought the lynx distributed with slackware 8.0 was SSL enabled.
> Apparently out of the box it does not do that.  I just tried it and got an
> error saying that https was not supported.  Do I have to change some configs
> to do this or do I have to rebuild the program? I do have the openssl
> package installed so that part should be ready.
>
> Any ideas?

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp