Multi Media Programs

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Sep 24 08:46:17 EDT 2001

I just set up a linux box and got the basic sound support working with my
SB AWE32 sound card.  At least I can play wav and mp3 files with play and
mpg123.  My question is how can I get some of the functionality I have
with programs like winamp where one can skip around within a file and skip
back and forth between files being played? I do realize these are
command-line programs but I had hoped for a bit more control while the
program is running.  I haven't looked at amp or freeamp yet; perhaps they
offer this? Also, what are some good mixer programs out there?
Surprisingly, I did not see the snd-utilities with slackware 8.0 and none
of the programs offered with basic slackware seemed to include a
mixer/volume control for the sound card. I have seen such things in the
past. Maybe I need to go out and find some separate utilities and install
them?

Thanks for any ideas.  I'm running linux from Slackware 8.0 with 2.4.9
kernel.