Totally lost and confused

Christy Schulte cs006624 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Sep 19 06:40:32 EDT 2001

Ok, I haven't researched this in great detail, but my understanding is this.

Debian, unlike a lot of other Linux distributions, can be added to and
worked on by many different people, it's not just a certain closed group.
Therefore, changes are constantly being made and it's constantly in testing
mode. Therefore, there are two versions of debian. The "stable" version,
currently 2.2 I believe, is the one that is only updated when there are
major changes to put in. It has been tested and run by a lot of people and
should run with minimal problems. The unstable version, which could be the
"potato" one but not sure, is the under development one, like a beta. Any
new submissions are put into that one first, so it's constantly being
changed and updated.

How exactly these updates are done and by whom I'm not sure, but we went
with the stable version our our machines. You can get more info on this at
www.debian.org. Also once it's installed, check out the apt-get and
apt-cache commands, really cool.

On another topic. Has anyone been successful using ddclient with debian? If
so, would you mind writing me privately? I got the thing installed, but it's
not updating the ip address an the docs aren't all that helpful. Then again
it's been years since I've seriously worked with this stuff.

Thanks.
Christy