html coding.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Sep 17 10:23:27 EDT 2001

There are a lot of disability no'no's in what you're talking about. Please
try to be part of the solution, and not part of the problem on this one.
Look at http://www.w3.org/wai/ to learn the how, why, and wherefore of all
of this. The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) took on accessibility in a
very serious way back in 1996. Since then, many brilliant minds from all
over the planet have worked to define good web practices. The output of
their efforts is in the uri I just gave.

Essentially, the correct answer to your question is very short. Display
attributes ;should be handled by cascading style sheets. The html itself
should be informational, and not presentational. In other words, the
information and how it looks have been seperated into two separate
specifications in order to support alternate displays such as speech,
braille, small screens, large print, different languages, etc., etc.

So, consentrate on learning about parallel structures -- the <p> </p>
tags; list items -- the <li> tag; ordered and unordered lists -- <ol> and
<ul>; etc. Leave the presentational elements until you've mastered
conveying information.

OK, you did ask! <grin>

On Mon, 17
Sep
2001, Shaun Oliver
wrote:

> hi guys. I'm just starting out with raw coding of html.
> is there a way I can do silly things like set the colours and formatting
> atributes like bold, underline, etc?
> thanks in advance.
>

> Shaun..
>
> Cat, n.:
> 	Lapwarmer with built-in buzzer.
>
> Email: shauno at goanna.net.au

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp