Slackware 8.0 partitioning tools.

Gordon Smith gordon at tft-bbs.co.uk
Sun Sep 16 18:30:24 EDT 2001

At 14:21 16/09/01 -0500, Kirk Wood said:
>And now we can solve a huge mystery. The following *should* represent the
>drive letter vs the designation in linux:
>1 - hda
>cdrom - hdb
>2 - hdf
>3 - hdg
>4 - hdh
>5 - hdi
It would seem that Slackware is only seeing the first controller, only one
hard disk and the CD-ROM exist, as far as it is concerned.

>The first two are definately correct. But it is a certainty that your
>drive 3 is *not* hdc. The reason SUSE is able to install is that it is not
>making you specify the drive position. Suse was one of the first to
>eliminate the need to understand a very easily misunderstood drive
>designation.
That sounds reasonable, yeah.

>Quite honestly, if you have a distribution installed, I would recomend
>that you patch the kernel, compile and go on. I shied away from this task
>for a long time. Then one day decided I had nothing better to do then
>reinstall if I messed something up. The long and short is that it was
>actually quite easy. In fact, it is so easy that I would recomend
>everybody to compile their own kernel. Start with cutting out all the crap
>in a stock kernel you don't use.
As a total novice, is there somewhere I can get my hands on a step-by-step
guide to this process?  I'm not frightened to try it if I have all the
necessary information to hand.  As you say, if I break it, I just laugh
about it, put it down to experience, and re-install.

>I have cut boot time significantly be eliminating the stuff in a stock
>kernel that my machine doesn't use anyway. I cut it further by building in
>things like network card support directly. Sure I made mistakes along the
>way. I also found my own way of tracking what I have done. I discovered
>that there is no need to name my kernel vmlinuz. I discovered that there
>is no need to pout a softlink in the root directory to this. I discovered
>that I can name my kernel to indicate the version number and date if I
>choose.
>
>You can find out a lot by playing here.

Got to know where to start first, <smile>.

Kind regards, Gordon Smith.

"mailto:Gordon Smith <gordon at tft-bbs.co.uk"
"mailto:Gordon Smith <07932634539 at one2one.net"
http://www.tft-bbs.co.uk>