Slackware 8.0 partitioning tools.

Gordon Smith gordon at tft-bbs.co.uk
Sun Sep 16 08:16:33 EDT 2001

Hi Frank.  The drive should be bootable, as SuSE works just fine with
it.  Having said that, I use an external boot manager at present.  But even
this won't work if my BIOS isn't set right.  Yeah, my motherboard has 4
on-board IDE channels, permitting a maximum of 8 devices.  But I take your
point regarding the kernels.  Again, going back to SuSE, that does support
it directly.  As I said in a previous message, if I could only get hold of
a kernel for SuSE with Speakup I'd be happy to stick with it.

At 06:48 16/09/01 -0400, Frank Carmickle said:

>You didn't say you had two controllers.  That makes life a bit different.
>First off the kernel needs to have support build in for your second
>controller.  well really your third and fourth controller most likely.  I
>do believe that slackware has support for the promise controllers built in
>to the bare.i boot disk.  If not this could be a bit of a problem assuming
>that is the kind of controller you have.  In either case it is probable
>that the drive that is in question is really /dev/hde.
>
>If you need anymore help just call or write.  It could get a little tricky
>to set this up and boot off of that drive.  Unless your thinking of
>booting from a floppy the lilo config to boot this setup will prove to be a
>learning experience for you.
>
>--
>      Frank Carmickle
>phone:     412 761-9568