Slackware 8.0 partitioning tools.

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Sun Sep 16 01:55:38 EDT 2001

Hi
   The third drive? That isn't really how linux does things. Where is it connected to? Primary master/slave or secondary master/slave? This is important, as linux doesn't go in a drive1, drive2,and drive3 manner. INstead, it goes like this:
/dev/hda, /dev/hdb: primary master, primary slave
/dev/hdc, /dev/hdd: secondary master, secondary slave
etc. In fact, usually /dev/hdc is used by an IDE cdrom. Try this command on the boot disk to find out where the drive is:
dmesg | grep -i hd
   You'll see your first drive found as hda, the the second hard drive will be found somewhere. Note this will also tell you where your cdrom resides. Not having permission to write to a drive usually occurrs when trying to partition a read-only media drive, like a cdrom.

HTH