changing volume at the speakup level

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Sep 14 03:39:28 EDT 2001

no no no; you don't use pico on the files in /proc
because it does silly line wrapping and other rubbish.
Simply do the following:

cd /proc/speakup
echo 7 >volume
or simply do
echo 7 >/proc/speakup/volume

We put these in .bash_profile to set spech characteristics at login.
On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 12:18:15AM -0700, djc wrote:
> I go to proc/speakup and I'm running redHat7.1 and when I go to the volume
> and go to edit the volume as it's set to 5 and I'd prefer it a bit louder I
> tell pico to write and it gives me an error telling me that the volume is
> from 0 to 9 but it won't write it for one reason or another. This is at the
> root level. Is there something special I need to do please? Also when I
> change this number is it spose to have a slash before it or anything like
> that/ I'm not yet fluent in working speakup so I don't know some things
> about it yet.
>
> 		     Msn or mailto:djc2 at pacbell.net
>
>      I C Q Number is: 4781694

Kerry Hoath: kerry at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au