regaining crashed consoles

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Tue Sep 11 18:15:26 EDT 2001

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> Sometimes when I telnet into a system over dial-up, the modem and sesion disconnects.
> What I do then, is the 3 finger solute.
> What is the best way to regain a crashed console like that?

I think a much better method would be to switch consoles. Then you can run
"ps aux" and kill off the bash process that coresponds to the telnet
session. If you wanted to kill the whole session, kill off the bash
process that coresponds. If you guess wrong, you of course kill off
another console. But all should regenterate nicely.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

The mind is like a parachute; it works much better when open.
If you're too open minded, your brains will fall out.