installing speakup

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Sep 4 09:48:44 EDT 2001

Jim:

I've never installed from the DOS batch file, but can't imagine it's all
that different from a floppy disk (ior CDR) boot. When booting from floppy
or CDR, one needs to wait for the drive to pause. A 10 second pause is
built into the installer--not enough maybe--but that's the default. This
is when people are supposed to indicate they want text, and it's when
they're supposed to indicate the appropriate speech synthesizer speakup
will use. Since you put the speech synthesizer into your batch file, maybe
you should put the word 'text' at the beginning of the line that contains
your synth--something like this for a litetalk:

text speakup_synth=ltlk

The point is it should come up talking after a little time. It should talk
a lot. It should tell you far more than you want to know about your
processor, your memory, your pci, your hard disk, etc., etc. Then after a
lot of this chatter it gets around to installation options.

If this isn't happening, why not create a boot floppy and start the
installl that way?

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Jim Ruby wrote:

> The problem is I get no menus though.  the last thing I hear is
> starting anaconda please wait:
> My understand is that anaconda is the graphical install.  I looked in the other concels with ctrl-alt-f1-f7 and I see it is starting xserver or something like that in f1 and f2 or f3 I can crews around in a shell and the rest
> has info, but ttyf7 where the menu should be just is showing blank.
>
> Is there a way to force it to use the text install?

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp