installing speakup

Jim Ruby jruby at charter.net
Mon Sep 3 21:05:05 EDT 2001

I am trying to install speakup using redhat 7.1 roswel using the following:

I have two computers here and tried them both so will list the specs on both along with the problems.  I'd like to get this installed on the lap top first if I can.

inspiron 7500
192 mb ram
12 gb hd and a second 4 gb hd
I have a keypad ps 2 stile and a usb keypad hooked up.  I had to use the ps2 keypad as linux did not grab the usb one.
double talk lt wich is found fine.
I seems to go ok, but can not find the monitor type
Next it runs anaconda
then I basicly get a blank screen, the 7 8 and plus keys read nothing, but at the bottom I hear ns.  If I hit the "." key I hear tty7.

I'm wondering if maybe the keys don't work quite right on the lap top with speakup, but from what I could tell the keypad keys worked fine, the 4 and 6 keys beeped.

On the other system I had the same results.  I'll skip this one as I'd rather use the lap top unless otherwise asked.
Here is how I booted up
1 boot the machine in to msdos mode
2 changed to my cdrom drive and changed in to the dosutils directory and then typed
c:autoboot where I placed the following bat file.
loadlin autoboot\vmlinuz initrd=autoboot\initrd.img speakup_synth=ltlk

If there is other info you need please tell me how to get it and I will post it.  Guess it is a good start, just not quite there yet.