Dual Boot

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Sep 3 11:18:36 EDT 2001

Create it in your favorite editor. Here's mine with a few comments to help
you get started.

But before we get to that--don't lose that floppy disk that boots your
system. And, better make sure you have a dos boot disk so you can still
get to C:> and Windows.

In this lilo.conf file, the lines marked with the pound sign, the # hash
mark, are comments. The computer ignores comments. Every line that starts
without a # is a command the lilo program acts on. Please note, this is an
example only. How you build your lilo.conf depends on how your disk is set
up. You especially need to know what partition your linux kernel is on,
and what partition your Windows is on. Yours will probably not be like
mine:

Once you've saved this file as /etc/lilo.conf -- and you'll need to be
root to do that -- type

	./sbin/lilo

If it tells you something like:

	"Adding speakup"
	"adding dos"

and exits normally -- i.e., takes you back to your prompt, you're ready to
dual boot.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Here's my edited lilo.conf for you to study:

#What disk to boot -- /dev/hda is the first ide hard disk
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
#Give me a prompt and some time to react to it -- 500 equals 50 seconds
#And the file /boot/message contains the prompt I'll have
prompt
timeout=500
message=/boot/message
#What kernel to boot if I do nothing at the prompt
default=current
#Send the /boot/message text to my first serial port--great if you have
#a serial speech synthesizer--but it does no harm if you don't
serial=0,9600N8

#Now we get to the part about booting the various things we can boot.
#First, we do our linux kernels. Don't make this up. Be sure to get this
#image= part correct.
image = /boot/vmlinuz
#Now we give it our own name. This part you can make up!
label=speakup
alias = s
read-only
#Very important -- Where is the root of your linux?
root=/dev/hda1
#Tell speakup what synthesizer it's talking to
append = "speakup_synth=dtlk"

#Now, do we have a bootable OS other than linux?
#Where does this other OS live?
other=/dev/hda3
optional
#What do we call this other OS?