Samba - windows and unix end-of-line conventions

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Wed Oct 31 18:07:04 EST 2001

The difference between windows and unix with new lines is not something
inherant in how they store a file. If for instance you edit a file that
resides on a linux box using windows, your new lines will have the two
caracters. Now for the record, this was not some stupid trick thought up
by mr gates. If you happen to want to blame someone blame Digital for
making cpm follow this convention.

There are both windows and unix programs to either add or strip the extra
character out of the lines. Alternativly, if you just want to view a file,
you can use internet explorer. It handles the unix style files just
fine. Or you could write a new editor for use in windows. Or you could
just go with linux. Or you could just go with windows, or you could....

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missle at
a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive."
	- President George Bush