Samba - windows and unix end-of-line conventions

Rich Caloggero rjc at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 31 14:00:06 EST 2001

I've finally got Samba working. What I originally invissioned using it for
is to be able to administer a linux server remotely from a windows machine.
I like windows for its file browsing and easy text editing (cursors are
tracked and movement commands are easy and intuitive). I have bad hands so
typing filenames gets tedious, so running linux from the shell gets hard on
the hands. Emacspeak is ok, but I use windows for e-mail and music stuff, so
it just seems natural to use it for my user interface stuff, and linux as my
server machine.

Now for the question:  the unix newline convention is to terminate lines
with just a line feed character (ascii 10). WIndows insists on seeing the
pair of characters ascii 13, followed by ascii 10. Is there a way to have
Samba do some sort of translation when a file is opened from the windows
side, perhaps based on the file extension, which would turn any unix end of
line sequences into windows sequences, and vice versa when the file was
written back to the Linux end? Seems like something someone has implemented,
but where to find it... Seems like something one could do with a shell
script, but how to get Samba to call it...

                    Rich