Looking for a 56k PCI modem for linux, dos

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Oct 29 00:18:51 EST 2001

Hi.   Be very careful about this since almost all newer modems, especially
56 K are Winmodems and will not work well (if at all) with Linux.
However, I have seen a new setting in the 2.4.12 kernel about this, but
since this computer does not have a modem at all I did not look into it.
However, there is one known brand which works with DOS, so I am sure it
would work with Linux.  I think it is US Robotics, now made by 3Com.  Can
someone confirm this?  I have one which I could consider selling but it is
a little expensive.  That is why Winmodems are so popular, because they
are cheap and use your computer's resources.