Lost Interrupt

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sat Oct 27 00:24:23 EDT 2001

I've got an old 486 machine with a couple IDE drives. /dev/hda is a little
40 meg that I use for booting purposes, /dev/hdb is a CDROM drive,
/dev/hdc (second ide controler) houses a 2.5 gig ide drive that contains
my root system. Up until now that setup was working just great (through
kernel 2.2.19). When I compiled a 2.4.anything kernel (presently 2.4.12),
I keep getting a "lost interrupt" message after the partition check. This
message repeats over and over again and that root fs will never come up.
If I go back and boot with the older kernel (2.2.19) it comes up OK. I
really would like to continue using 2.4.12 + and not be stuck back at a
2.2 kernel on this particular machine. I choose every combination possible
of the IDE related choices during the kernel configuration setup.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks for any ideas.