Lynux machine only

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Wed Oct 24 06:47:13 EDT 2001

There is no partition limit that linux can handle.  There is a limit
where older lilo's could reach to find the boot tables.  That is long
since past, probably more than two years ago.

I  like to stay with primary partitions myself, so I always split the
drive into four partitions.

/dev/hda1 '/' doesn't need to be very large really.  Once you've put
most programs on the system it doesn't grow very much at all.  The one
caveat is /tmp/ which grows and shrinks as you use programs.  About
500mb should be plenty for '/'.

/dev/hda2 swap, I tend to keep my swap between partitions so the
kernel can get to it without needing to move very far.  About 256mb or
memory size if larger is my favourate setting.

/dev/hda3 /usr/,  usually the largest partition.  Depending on how
much mail/webpage stuff you're going to have /usr could be about 8gb.

/dev/hda4 /var/, Whatever is left on the drive.  This needs to be
bigger than what I've allocated if you have a lot of mail/web
traffic.  But that would have to be one hell of a lot of traffic.

These are just my personal ideas on how I'd set up the drive. YMMV.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061