DSL Providors

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Mon Oct 22 11:56:21 EDT 2001

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Raul A. Gallegos wrote:
> These are good points.  Part of this is because of what Frank states in
> an earlier message that cable modems used to allow you to see everyone
> on your segment.  This added to the poor security.  I remember a friend
> of mine telling me he saw a neighbor of his had a 20 gig hard drive and
> so when my friend would download mp3's he would store them on that
> unknowing neighbor's hard drive until he burned them to a cd. *lol* talk
> about free on line storage.  If my friend would have been malicious he
> could have fdisk on that person's hard drive.  So yes I agree that it's
> less secure like that but I think now a-days things are much better.  As
> far as not being very technical that is why you can ask us geaks
> especially if you have Linux, we can just remotely go in and setup
> ipchains or iptables and get you all setup.

First, it is untrue that he could have used fdisk. He could have erased
files, but not used fdsik. On annother note, this neighbor's drive was
available to **Everyone** on the internet. And guess what? If you enable
file sharing on a DSL connection you have the same thing. This has nothing
to do with the connection. Again, all internet connections are insecure
unless your behind a firewall.

Now here is something to think about. I know four people with long term
broadband connections. Three of us have cable and one has DSL. And the one
with DSL is the only one to be hacked. So does this prove DSL is more
insecure? If not, then all the personal stories (aside from being mostly
bullshit) don't prove anything one way or another.

If you are moronic and have a connection long enough you will get
burned. Just as if you open every damn email attachment that comes along
and have the most common software you will get virus infected and send off
the virus to all the poor saps in your address book. Oh my god, this can
happen faster with broadband. Congress should do something.

Since most on this list are looking to put a server on the net, I wonder
why this interest in a supposed sense of security.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missle at
a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive."
	- President George Bush