DSL Providors

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Oct 20 11:37:56 EDT 2001

Rodney:

If you live in an area where your only broadband connectivity options
force you into a service which will only work with Microslop, you might
have a most interesting and useful Sec. 255 complaint with the FCC.

If anyone wants to pursue such a thing, contact me off list.

 On
Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Rodney Clowdus wrote:

> Thanks for describing to us the shit that it truly is.  We are thinking
> about moving to a small town and I just learned that the telephone
> company provides DSL service but I was wondering if I would have trouble
> as you so wonderfully described Ann.  But it seems there has got to be
> someway that all this shit can be bypassed so we can get to the milk.  Any
> ideas out there folks?
> Rodney
>
> The Weaving Beaver
> rclowdus at kcnet.com
> "Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice."
> "Weave your own cloth and it will reward you twice."
>
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Ann Parsons wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Forget DSL!!! Forget it!!  If you want DSL you better be prepared to
> > get the business kind because if you get ADSL they will force you into
> > getting that damned SSG Dashboard crap that can not be accessed in
> > Lynx w3 or anything but MSIE.  This is their web interface to their
> > routers.  When you *can* access it with Gates' garbage, they have
> > decided to write the whole damned thing in Java script.  It takes me
> > twenty to thirty minutes to reset my DSL when they time it out, which
> > they do every week or so.  Why does it take that long?  I have to
> > reboot into Windows.  Then, I have to access the Dashboard.  Then, I
> > have to find the stupid links to the edit boxes which are not labeled
> > correctly so that the MSAA works properly.  Then, I have to keep
> > turning MSAA mode on and off and going through all kinds of
> > machanations to get the damned thing reset.  Plus, that's not counting
> > the eleven outages I've had since July 18th!
> >
> > Not only that, Frontier treats me like a child.  They call their
> > routers modems, like I'm a five year old kid that can't call going to
> > the bathroom anything but going weewee.  They think it is always *my*
> > fault when something goes wrong, it *must* be my fault, I'm the
> > customer, and the customer is always wrong, doncha know!!
> >
> > Those telephone companies, at least Frontier Communications doesn't
> > know its ass from a hole in the ground.  They can't run their service
> > correctly, they don't know what's wrong with their equipment when
> > something breaks, and the whole thing is a SNAFU (situation Normal All
> > Fucked Up).  Excuse me, I'm sorry folks, I do not usually become so
> > vulgar, but I am disgusted with DSL, Frontier and the whole
> > technology.  I'm going to cable on Thursday, and I'm very, very glad
> > of it.  If you think that DSL can work in Linux, you need to pay for
> > the expensive kind, cuz the residential ADSL is for the birds!!!
> >
> > Ann P.
> >
> > --
> > 			Ann K. Parsons
> > email:  akp at eznet.net 			ICQ Number:  33006854
> > WEB SITE:  http://home.eznet.net/~akp
> > "All that is gold does not glitter.  Not all those who wander are lost."  JRRT

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp