DSL Providors

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Oct 20 11:27:25 EDT 2001

Hi, Raul:

While my email address doesn't reflect it, I am a satisfied speakeasy
customer. My advice is to look no further.

First of all, speakeasy explicitly supports linux clients. They even have
linux specific HOWTO files on their help pages.

You can certainly get static IP from speakeasy. I have several, actually.

The provisioning process was fully accessible. I was able to fill out the
order form online, and I was able to set up daily notifications of
progress on my order via email.

Best of all, I can tell you, after two months only of actual use, that
I've been getting pretty much the bandwidth I'm paying for. I could not
have said that about my former provider.

The only bad news, imho, is that speakeasy has recently rebuilt their
customer support web pages with javascript. Not very lynx friendly, I'm
afraid.

 On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Raul A.
Gallegos wrote:

> Hi.  Well I just got the sad news that all Sprint ION customers are
> getting the axe.  It was not enough for Sprint to let 6000 employees go
> yesterday of which thankfully I was not one of.  Now however they are
> turning off the ION service of which I am a customer of.  Is this
> personal?  In any case I'll be on the search for a DSL providor in my
> area.  On the DSL-HOWTO I saw speakeasy.net and noticed that some
> Speakup users are speakeasy.net customers.  So my question is if anyone
> knows of any Linux friendly or good dsl providors for that matter that
> might provide service in the KC area?  I've already looked at the
> providors given on the Howto but so far speakeasy seems to be the only
> one.  If at all possible I would like bridging setup instead of the
> dreaded pppoe.  Static Ip address would be nice and a bonus but not
> absolutely required.
>
> Any ideas folks?
>
> --- Raul A. Gallegos mailto:raul at asmodean.net http://www.asmodean.net
> For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals..  Then
> something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination...
> We learned to talk...  Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp