help requested for speakup1.0

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Fri Oct 19 12:40:31 EDT 2001

Hi, Don:

You have the CD ROMS for Redhat 7.1, right? Do you have enough room on
your hard disk to put that much data on it? Should be about 3 Gb. Do you
have 3.Gb plus a little more free?

Reason I ask is that there's a simpler way to get 7.2 to you than
downloading 3 Gb of data. It's called rsync.

As to whether you need more than just the speakup tar ball--yes, you
certainly would, if you're going to upgrade via that route. You would need
the kernel sources, and you would then need to patch the kernel with
speakup, then compile a new kernel. Big job, though many of us here have
been doing just that.

But, there's likely another way. Let's examine the options for a few days
before you dive in. In other words, lets poke around in the water before
you jump into it! Wouldn't want any of those sharks Kirk's talking about
to bite you! <big grin>

 On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, djc
wrote:

> Last night we tried to install speakup1.0 and following the read me we
> couldn't get it to install. I'm running RedHat7.1.  have the older speakup
> running fine but I'd like to update it. We moved the tarball ok and we just
> couldn't get it to find the directories it needed. My friend was assisting
> me and he was using xwindows. I did download the speakup.tar.gz from the
> speakup site. Is that the only file I need? I did see a speakup
> configuration file but I didn't think I should have downloaded that one so
> I didn't. I also would like to know if it's to my advantage to update
> RedHat to 7.2. That is going to be an extremely long download and before I
> do that I'd appreciate thoughts. My RedHat is running fine but I've always
> felt that it's important to keep up to date with changes. Thanks for any
> assistance.
>
> 		     Msn or mailto:djc2 at pacbell.net
>
>      I C Q Number is: 4781694
>
>      Join Me On Testpattern Radio on Saturday Evenings.
>
>      http://www.thetestpattern.com for the Schedule and Information.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp