stupid question

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Thu Oct 18 09:45:02 EDT 2001

Deedra Waters said the following on Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:15:01AM -0400:
>      I've  run the cvs update and it patched with no problems. this isn't
> the first time I've run it, I guess what I'm asking is when I run the
> script from /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/speakup  do I still need to
> recompile the kernel like I had to do the firsst time?

The only stupid question is the unasked one. *smile*.  The answer is
yes.  The kernel image does not know about any source code changes that
are made to it so you have to recompile the kernel each time you patch
it.  Usually what I do when I patch a new speakup in is run the
checkout script then do the following from /usr/src/linux

cp .config config.tmp
make mrproper
cp config.tmp .config
make oldconfig
make dep > dep.out 2>&1 &
make bzImage > bzImage.out 2>&1 &

Since I normally dont' have any modules compiled in that is all I do.
Then I move the newly compiled kernel image from
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/ to where ever your kernel lives on your
system to be read by lilo.

hth>

--- Raul A. Gallegos mailto:raul at asmodean.net http://www.asmodean.net
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals..  Then
something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination...
We learned to talk...  Pink Floyd - The Division Bell