Debian questions

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Thu Oct 18 09:36:26 EDT 2001

Kirk Wood said the following on Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:02:50PM -0500:
> On the first, I have never heard of such a thing. What are you reviewing
> that you would have color? Is this a directory listing. It seems quite
> strange to me.

Yes I agree it's strange.  It was regardless of whether it was a
directory, a file I tried to edit, etc.  This even happened when I
booted from the emergency boot/root disks.  I'm wondering if this is
caused by my video card or something.  I plugged this same monitor into
my Slackware box and speakup behaved normally.  I booted up the Debian
machine with the Slackware boot/root disks with the monitor plugged in
don't eh problem came back.  Because of this I don't think it's distro
related.  As long as I don't' have a monitor on this box everything
works fine though.

> I personally installed linuxconf because I was already familiar with it
> from Redhat. If you install it, you should be able to resolve the nic
> issue quite easily and quickly.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.  I looked at linuxconf a while back and had
problems installing it so never considered it again but I see it's a
Debian package so it should install fine.

> The third sounds like something is missing from your dependancies. To
> track it down a little further, the question comes up, what madules are
> attempting to load when you get the errors?

A large list of modules.  Basically what I did was create my own
rescue.bin disk with a 500 k personalized kernel that has only the
drivers I needed compiled in such as my nic drivers.  Other than that
since this box is mainly a server box I don't have a modem, sound card,
etc in it so all that stuff was taken out.  I also don't' have scsi or
apm so I took that out of the default config file.  I added the latest
cvs speakup to it as well.  The list of unresolved symbols is pretty
long.  From what I remember now it has a lot to do with video and sound
though.  I'll look at my logs and see what they all are.

--- Raul A. Gallegos mailto:raul at asmodean.net http://www.asmodean.net
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals..  Then
something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination...
We learned to talk...  Pink Floyd - The Division Bell