Debian questions

Debian UserRaul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Wed Oct 17 18:59:29 EDT 2001

Hi gang.  In my quest to get better learned in different Linux distros I
have installed Debian on a system and so am learning this one now.
Coming from a Slackware background I'm not used to so many things being
so automated.  Below I have a few questions/problems of which I'm not
sure of how to resolve.  Also, as an FYI, I've read the docs regarding
my situation or I could not find docs for this.

1.  If I have a monitor plugged into the box when speakup either reads
garbled text or I can't review the screen.  While trying to review the
screen pressing the keypad-2 key says white_space.  Pressing
keypad-ins-period says bright white on white.  This is what the problem
is I'm guessing.  If the colors are screwed up like this I guess speakup
wont' read the screen.  I didn't know speakup depended on this but that
is not my question.  What I'm concerned with is why when I unplug the
monitor from the video card everything works fine again.  I even booted
with the rescue and root floppy disks to make sure it was not something
in my installation and the same thing happened.  I have not tested this
on the Slackware box so for this I'm not saying it's a Debian specific
thing, but I really don't think it is anyway.

2.  I'm used to the Slackware bsd-ish way of doing things.  Most of all,
the way I have my internal nic eth1 as 192.168.1.1 is setup within
Slackware via /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  Once the 2nd nic is setup I then run
/sbin/dhcpd eth1 and my dhcp server for my internal network runs fine.
With Debian however I was able to edit /etc/network/interfaces to
successfully configure eth0 and eth1 but when I try running
/etc/init.d/dhcp start it will not run at all.  In digging deeper I see
that the dhcp script calls /usr/sbin/dhcpd which itself is a script that
decides to either run dhcpd-2.0 or dhcpd-2.2 depending on your kernel.
If I run /usr/sbin/dhcpd-2.2 eth1 everything works as expected...  So in
short what my question is, what do I need to do in order for the
sysvinit scripts to correctly run dhcp and have it listen on the right
eth1 nic instead of the default eth0.

3.  I promise this is the last one..  *smile*.  The modules that are
I'm using but I keep getting unresolved symbol errors.  I am definitely
using 2.2.19 as my kernel and the modules are in the /lib/modules/2.2.19
as the install automatically put in so I don't understand the reason for
this error.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

PS.  I am not trying to start a distro war or anything so please don't
take my comparisons as such.  I just know Slackware so that is all I
have to go by when learning.  This is why I want to learn how other
distros do things.

--- Raul A. Gallegos mailto:raul at asmodean.net http://www.asmodean.net
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals..  Then
something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination...
We learned to talk...  Pink Floyd - The Division Bell